The Decision to Buy
Today, home buyers have more choices than ever before. You can choose financing options that are flexible and affordable, home styles that fit a variety of lifestyles and professional services that make the home buying process fast, effective and enjoyable.
When you begin the decision-making process of buying your first home, your RE/MAX Associates Sales Representative can guide you through the pros and cons of renting vs. buying. A simple evaluation can help you decide if you are financially and personally ready to make the investment of homeownership.
Here are some facts about homeownership that may surprise you:
- Homeownership can be a good investment opportunity. A house offers leverage and the possibility for appreciation in value. And, you can use this investment while it’s working for you!
- You can’t afford to overlook the tax breaks of homeownership. Since mortgage interest and property taxes are tax deductible, homeownership can save you money each year.
- Young people aren’t priced out of the market. Figures from the National Association of Realtors put the average age of first-time buyers at 32 years old. Ask your RE/MAX Associates Sales Representative about the number and variety of financing options available.
- Renting doesn’t protect you against rising prices. Rental units are just as susceptible as homes to increases in taxes, insurance, utilities and other costs. Landlords will pass along these increases to the tenants.
- The waiting game is a losing game. Don’t put off buying a home waiting for prices to come down. For example, from 1984 to 1994, the median price of existing homes increased from $89,400 to $145,400 – a total increase of 61 percent.
Ask your RE/MAX Associates Sales Representative for a copy of “50 Facts About Owning a Home.” This brochure outlines basic information about homeownership.